Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Hello from Winter

Well Winter decided we didn't really need to be eased into the idea of snow, ice, windchills and cold - she just came. I've been away from my computer for five days. I have to admit I have a problem because I was actually going through withdrawal.

Where have I been computerless? Well this weekend I headed to Saskatoon to cheer on the Bisons Women's Hockey. Why not the Huskies? Because my sister is a player for the Bisons, so default cheering goes there! Unfortunately the games did not go well for the Bisons :( However I did get to spend time with the parents, and my baby sister so that was enjoyable :) Sunday a family braved the rain and wind, we did some photos in the park. Which was enjoyable, because I love taking photos and great kids!

Then a day in Regina, which turned into a stranding overnight at the Regina Bus Depot. I started off with thinking, boy the bus people are rather calm and normal. How odd. Anyone that spends anytime on a Greyhound knows there is always some characters there. But since I was spending my time on the cement floor to sleep (stupid chairs have armrests so you can't lay down), I was grateful for the normal. Then the East bound bus limped in from Calgary. I think it stopped at Ponoka somewhere along the way. Wow, so many oddities in so few people.

We did finally leave in the morning. Unfortunately many of the crazies decided to head back West, so not much peace was head.

I have to say I'm so thankful for my bed and warm, soft blankets. And my tub with lots and lots of bubble bath. While it was entertaining and had funny parts to it, I also was reminded of what some people's life really is like. Sleeping on the cement was not fun. Tolerable because it was heated, but what is it like for those that have to do that day after day on cold cement? Perhaps it's been Jordon's Cooper blog that has made me more aware of those that are homeless. Perhaps a bit of my own experiences lately as well, as that has been real possibility at some points over the last six months. I don't envy those that experience that day after day. I am glad the experience more grateful for what I do have. And I'm not just saying that. I challenge anyone to spend some time sleeping on the bus station floor, and I think your eyes are opened a bit. I am lucky in that I came home to a clean house with a clean soft bed.

At any rate so many images to go through. And other day to day stuff to get to. No pictures right now, but I did buy and eat some great cupcakes, and watch some hockey and other stuff that I will post pictures of at some point!

No comments:

Post a Comment